Sunday, January 29, 2006

Market Recap: 2006: Week 03

The Market Recap went MIA last week, lost in the volley of posts on various things orange. After a skeptical week one though, I think I'm beginning to find my winter market groove. This is due in no small part to the leafy greens of two nice guys who recently began attending the Grand Lake Farmers' Market. I missed the name of their farm, but was all over their various Chicories. Good thing too, they indicated that they wouldn't be available much longer.


The week before I'd picked up some White Peacock Kale and didn't even really know what it was. I stumbled on the answer at Market Hall Produce where they were selling Red Peackock Kale.


Another highlight of the Market these days is the Prather Ranch stand. Yesterday we went with a chuck roast that, just as promised, turned into butter after a 3 hour braise. The broth from this braise is one of the most intensely flavored I've managed. The week before we'd brought home some vitellone they re-sell, it's a kind of red veal produced by Knee Deep Cattle Ranch up in Oregon. Milk-fed and free range for a period of one year before slaughter.

No comments: